Please split off src.rpms into own DVD (was: DVD image of FC3 test2 for x86_64 too big?)

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net
Wed Sep 29 09:06:38 UTC 2004

On Tue, Sep 28, 2004 at 11:26:33AM -1000, Warren Togami wrote:
> Michael Favia wrote:
> >Matthias Saou wrote:
> >
> >>It doesn't fit on regular 4.7GB DVD-Rs :-( The i386 DVD ISO is smaller
> >>and
> >>probably fits (I hope so, as I downloaded it too!), but the x86_64 one
> >>definitely doesn't... is this a known problem?
> >>
> >This issue is being echoed throughout the #fedora channel as well. It is
> >common if not yet well known.
> >

> The only way we can solve this problem is by trimming the distribution.
>  A bunch of broken java related stuff was removed from rawhide
> yesterday, and I'm working on reducing package sizes across the board by
> removing useless or redundant documentation.

Why not provide a DVD for binaries and one for source rpms? I doubt
the demand for src.rpms is even remotely comparable to that for the
binary DVD, and you get

o less traffic on the Red Hat/Fedora mirrors, as users will only
  download half a DVD (well, not half, but you get the idea).
o less space wasted (one src.rpm DVD for all archs would be
  sufficient, even if not all src.rpm can be built on all archs).
o Developers don't need to feel the damoclean sword chopping over
  their heads, if they intend to add something bigger to the
  distribution.

Castrating the distribution (like throwing out kernel-sourcecode) or
not accepting new packages due to DVD size constraints looks quite
wrong to me.
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net