Please split off src.rpms into own DVD

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net
Wed Sep 29 10:29:34 UTC 2004

On Wed, Sep 29, 2004 at 11:27:18AM +0200, Matthias Saou wrote:
> Axel Thimm wrote :
>
> > Why not provide a DVD for binaries and one for source rpms? I doubt
> > the demand for src.rpms is even remotely comparable to that for the
> > binary DVD, and you get
> >
> > o less traffic on the Red Hat/Fedora mirrors, as users will only
> >   download half a DVD (well, not half, but you get the idea).
> > o less space wasted (one src.rpm DVD for all archs would be
> >   sufficient, even if not all src.rpm can be built on all archs).
> > o Developers don't need to feel the damoclean sword chopping over
> >   their heads, if they intend to add something bigger to the
> >   distribution.
> >
> > Castrating the distribution (like throwing out kernel-sourcecode) or
> > not accepting new packages due to DVD size constraints looks quite
> > wrong to me.
>
> I kind of like the idea of having "one media to contain'em all" :-)
> For both Fedora Core 1 & 2, I've always been going around with a single DVD
> in my laptop case, on which I have everything to make new installs, rescue,
> and also check the source and report packaging bugs more easily ;-)
> Until recently, having all binary and source packages made sense since the
> size limit of a DVD was still a reasonable one... if it can stay that way
> for FC3, as it is the case for i386, it would be great, and that seems to
> be where it's headed. Only the x86_64 DVD image is too big, and by so
> little that it shouldn't be hard to fix.
> I think this issue should be discussed again post-FC3's release, when
> general brainstorming for FC4's goals begins ;-)

I'm not proposing this for FC3, the release date is far to near! But
it should already be a topic, otherwise we will see too much
castration due to silly media constraints ("let's drop xemacs, we
already have similar functionality in emacs, and xemacs is eating too
much DVD space").
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net