USB DSL call for testing (Re: USB ADSL Modem support, status of development?)

David Woodhouse dwmw2 at infradead.org
Wed Sep 29 16:30:32 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-09-28 at 17:16 +0530, Srikanth Nori wrote:
> Most posts were about the Alcatel Speedtouch USB modem, but my
> interest lies elsewhere (Aztech 500U)

That may in fact be a rebadged version of the Speedtouch -- it looks
like it's actually made by Alcatel. Can you show the contents of
/proc/bus/usb/devices when it's connected?

> Anyway, I was wondering what is the status of development? Is still it being
> actively pursued?

Well I was highly offended by how complicated it was to get it working
so yes, it's actively being pursued...

At ftp://pentafluge.infradead.org/pub/dsl/ there is most of what you
should need to get the Speedtouch working sanely under rawhide.

There's a new kernel driver which obsoletes the old 'modem_run' tool.
The driver is now capable of loading the firmware and initialising the
modem for itself. You do still need to download the firmware and use the
extraction tool which is part of the userspace 'speedtouch' package,
then put the resulting boot block and main firmware images into
/lib/firmware so that request_firmware can find them. The boot block
should be called 'speedtch_fw1', and the main image should be either
'speedtch_fw2_rev123' or 'speedtch_fw2_rev4' depending on the revision
of your modem.

To build the kernel driver, untar it, change into its directory and type
'make', or 'make nodebug'. Please let me know whether it works for you
or not.

If you're using PPP over ATM, you may also want to install the
linux-atm-libs, ppp and ppp-pppoatm packages which can be found there.
Then set it up for PPP according to the howto at
http://linux-usb.sourceforge.net/SpeedTouch/docs/howto.html -- you can
skip to about stage 9.

Next step is to get the initscripts and network configuration tools to
handle pppoa nicely. We should switch our pppoe from the separate tool
with pty abuse to the real pppoe plugin while we're at it.

I suppose I should package the standalone firmware extracter with a
little script which uses wget to get the ZIP file and then extracts it
all into the right place...

Feedback to https://bugzilla.redhat.com/131554 please.

--
dwmw2