Java and Rawhide?

Thu Sep 30 09:25:19 UTC 2004

If you are willing to help solve this problem (which is an hairy one and
has been draining several people's efforts for several years) I can only
invite you to go on the JPackage site (http://www.jpackage.org/), look
at the packages, the documentation, the list archives and help the
project.

Since it *will* be the upstream for future FC/RHEL java subsistems and
it is an open community project (similar to Fedora, with some twists
like also targeting Mandrake/Novell and accepting we still need to work
with sun binaries in some cases) you *can* make a difference.

The short-term result will be a gcj/proprietary jvm stack released a bit
after FC3 (I think we're too late for FC3 proper) and before RHEL4.
sabletron support is not included at this point and is probably material
for the next jpp released. It involves solving different problems that
are detailed on the http://java.debian.net/index.php/CommonJavaPackaging
site (to be fair while Debian is more advanced than JPP on free VM
problems I feel we are closer to what's needed in production now).

Note that everyone would love a totally free stack (which was one goal
of the FC2 java system) but it seems given the low number of people
willing to work on it now we still need to go through an intermediate
phase where proprietary and free stacks coexist (with the proprietary
parts being phased out once the free ones are ready). There is still a
lot of work to do - even with Mandrake, Suse and Fedora/Redhat users and
lately RedHat direct involvement the project is not going as fast as
everyone would wish it to. But it certainly has come a long way from the
3-4 person team it was a few years back.

Regards,

--
Nicolas Mailhot