Java and Rawhide?

Thu Sep 30 12:25:23 UTC 2004

Le jeudi 30 septembre 2004 à 13:10 +0200, Hans de Goede a écrit :

> I've looked at jpackage.org and have 2 problems:
> -too much focus on propietary solutions

It wouldn't have been proposed as FC3 java system if most of it couldn't
work with free stacks. Now a lot of people use it in production today,
and frankly the free bits are not always mature enough to fill their
needs alone (but this is slowly changing).

> -non existant documentation

And I'll object the no doc bits since I've written a large part of the
current doc myself. More accurately the web site is a mess, everyone
knows it but no one stepped up to redesign it yet.

Anyway, you can change it if you contribute doc of freevm bits;). I
don't think Redhat, Suse and Mandrake would have all joined the boat if
there was a better alternative in the rpm world now.

JPP is certainly not up to Fedora.us standards right now, but again the
number of contributors is several orders smaller than Fedora's, and
packaging java stuff is often *much* harder, since a large part of the
Java developer community is totally unaware of FOSS release conventions.

Cheers,

--
Nicolas Mailhot