FC2 kernel quality

Alan Cox alan at redhat.com
Thu Sep 30 18:21:10 UTC 2004

On Thu, Sep 30, 2004 at 08:16:30PM +0200, Enrico Scholz wrote:
> * cdrecording is completely broken:
>   - 'cdrecord' refuses to work as non-root which breaks nearly every GUI

Not a bug, security fix.  2.6.9 works towards having a policy that is
better.

>   - there is a severe memory-leak in the kernel when burning audio-CDs

That one does need fixing if its not already covered and the fixes are
well enough known.

> * there is a bug when opening new PTYs; a symptom is EIO when accessing
>   /dev/ptmx. This bug breaks application like screen or ssh.

Yep a few people are seeing this.

> * SELinux can not load the policies anymore because the tools can not
>   handle SELinux versions above 17 but the kernel has 18

SELinux was never supported in FC2 final, because we never got it solid
enough. The rawhide tools should work for you doing this.