FC2 kernel quality

Thorsten Leemhuis fedora at leemhuis.info
Thu Sep 30 18:40:40 UTC 2004

Am Donnerstag, den 30.09.2004, 20:16 +0200 schrieb Enrico Scholz:
> [...]

> Another issue might be the kernel packaging which is very inefficient.
> There is no reason to include the kernel-sources/headers in the base
> 'kernel' package, because:
>
> [...]
> * it makes cross-compiling of kernel-modules impossible (e.g. you can
>   not build i686 modules on an i586 because you can not install the i686
>   kernel)

I think you know it, but can't hurt: We now (since ~2 weeks) have a
kernel-module-devel package in fedora.us It can be used to build i586
packages on systems where a i686 kernel is installed.

[...]
> A possible solution would be the creation of a separate subpackage with
> the kernel-headers. These are to be installed either directly at
> /lib/modules/.../build, or (preferred) under /usr/src, /usr/share/... or
> ... and make /lib/modules/.../build a symlink to this place.

My 2 cent:

Include the headers in kernel-module-devel (currently the common files
are symlinked to the running kernel /lib/modules/<uname>/build dir).
Remove the headers from the kernel rpm. Installing the kernel-module-
devel could create the symlink to the correct dir. Or a "dead" symlink
could be include already.

Problem: Users that want to compile kernel modules (Nvidia Drivers...)
need to install the rpm. Great problem in the eyes of arjanv, and I
think he is right on this.

How to solve? Good question. It's a pity that you can't make a
dependency like "If you have gcc installed always install kernel-module-
devel for all kernels installed"... Or can this be done somehow?