FC2 kernel quality

Jonathan Andrews jon at jonshouse.co.uk
Thu Sep 30 19:49:49 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-09-30 at 20:28, Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:

> > > Problem: Users that want to compile kernel modules (Nvidia Drivers...)
> > > need to install the rpm.
> >
> > I do not see the problem here. Only few software can be built without
> > additional packages (you need at least gcc, make, perhaps m4, bison,
> > ...).
>
> I see the problem. All those users of the nvidia driver will have
> problems to build the kernel module. And what will they search for to
> solve the problem: a kernel-source(code) rpm that is will not be part of
> FC3 (as it seems).

Ahh, so Redhat finally progressed from a kernel the users cant hope to
build to no kernel at all.

I only mention this as im on my 10th pass at trying to build a core 1
kernel, so im not bitter ;-)  What happens to the .configs RH use to
build the kernel, the supplied ones are decoration and seem to be no use
at all, or am I missing the point or just a plonker ? Please vote now !

Jon