FC2 kernel quality

Carlos Rodrigues carlos.efr at mail.telepac.pt
Thu Sep 30 22:20:08 UTC 2004

Malita, Florin wrote:
> On Thu, 2004-09-30 at 16:25, Enrico Scholz wrote:
>
>>documentation and/or diagnostic. And btw... the nvidia driver are not
>>supported by FC ;)
>

> Not sure what you mean by "supported" but
> NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-5336-pkg1 works perfectly fine with FC2 for me...

Also that "not supported" thing is crap. Binary modules are a fact of
life and some care ("some" meaning "break it if you have to, but avoid
it if you can") must be taken so that users can use them.

The fact is that nvidia cards are _very_ popular and users want to have
them working properly on linux. In fact they don't have much options,
ATi drivers suck beyond reason and other cards are just plain
insufficient preformance-wise. So, if the nvidia driver breaks and isn't
easy to fix, that will just drive users away. Take me for an example, I
have always updated to a newer Red Hat version (since Red Hat 5.0)
whithin 1.5 weeks of release, but it took me around 2 months to step up
to Fedora 2. Why? Because the nvidia drivers didn't work with the fedora
  2 kernel and I have better things to do with my time that patching and
rebuilding kernels. When nvidia released new drivers I upgraded within 1
week. If I were a new user, I wouldn't even have bothered.

Carlos Rodrigues