FC2 kernel quality

Jonathan Andrews jon at jonshouse.co.uk
Thu Sep 30 23:03:12 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-09-30 at 22:39, Charles R. Anderson wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 30, 2004 at 09:15:43PM +0100, Jonathan Andrews wrote:
> > What I take home is the message that to build a Redhat kernel I need to
> > understand rpm ......
>
> To build any Redhat package you need to understand rpm.  Why should
> the kernel be any different?

Because every other package can be built from source and still work on
Redhat....

Up until today that what I always did, most of my Redhat 9 boxes have
kernel.org kernels ... and run fine ? Makes me wonder why Redhat fork
the kernel - but thats an argument I cant hope to win so I will shut up
now !

As for rpm

[root at jonspc root]# man rpm |wc
    831    3325   40895

3,325 words, most starting with - or --   That doesn't include rpmbuild,
or any reference what to do when it locks itself ! No wonder linux is
described as to complex !

Oh yea and gems like this are common ...

[root at jonspc root]# rpm -q apt-0.5.5cnc6-fr1.i386.rpm
package apt-0.5.5cnc6-fr1.i386.rpm is not installed
[root at jonspc root]# rpm -i apt-0.5.5cnc6-fr1.i386.rpm
package apt-0.5.5cnc6-fr1 is already installed...

Also, while im at it - listing files in a package would be about the
most useful feature. So it would be simple ?

As a new(ish) user of rpm I would try

rpm --whatprovides package.rpm
Doesnt work.

rpm --list package.rpm
nope !

rpm -l package.rpm
nope !

My machines also have an extra utility, so I can remember how to get it
working again without a reboot.

[root at jonspc root]# cat /usr/bin/rpm_clear_lock
#Clear rpm lock
rm -f /var/lib/rpm/__db*