OpenOffice.org 2.0 packages for FC3?

Caolan McNamara caolanm at redhat.com
Wed Apr 6 12:41:17 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-04-06 at 14:10 +0300, Mikko Huhtala wrote:
> I sent this question to fedora-list earlier, but it seemed to be the
> wrong crowd or maybe the message just got lost in the noise.
>
> Are there plans to provide OpenOffice.org 2.0 RPMs as updates to FC3
> (I realize this is unlikely considering the status of GCJ in FC3)?

No, to build it for fedora requires the fc4 gcj, so that would need to
be updated for FC3, also mozilla-nss from fc4 is recommended. And
probably a few more things I've forgotten.

> I tried installing the OOo packages from the development stream with
> yum, which, of course, pulled in GCC 4 et al. with it. That version of
> OOo seemed very unstable (Impress crashed almost immediately, whatever I
> tried to do with it). I don't know whether that was because it is a beta
> or because I was running FC4 development packages on FC3.

I know of successful builds and deployment from the OOo src.rpm under
RHEL-4 by getting the rawhide gcc src.rpm and building it as a
replacement for the gcc4 package, and then rebuilding the ooo src.rpm.
The OOo spec has support for building c/c++ with gcc 3 and the java bits
with gcj4.

> Are the release version packages from openoffice.org itself going to be
> RPMs? The current beta ones are a bit odd, with the many 'core' RPMs and
> files going in /opt. I guess the FC3 OOo RPMs could be replaced with
> those, anyway, and the Sun JRE also be installed as a RPM.

The upstream release are also in RPMS, which install into /opt. They'll
be larger and slower than ours (piles of redundant duplicate libs), have
the old file picker by default, not be available for ppc, not have the
langpacks like we do, not have dictionaries for a pile of languages. But
they should install and work under fc3.

C.