gnome-vfs not in Rawhide?

John Thacker thacker at math.cornell.edu
Fri Apr 8 00:57:51 UTC 2005

On Thu, Apr 07, 2005 at 08:09:45PM -0400, Dimitrie O. Paun wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 07, 2005 at 07:58:36PM -0400, John Thacker wrote:
> > "We do that for kernel."  What?  Where do we ship a 2.4 version kernel
> > (and 2.2, and 2.0, etc.) in order to have FC work with applications
> > that don't run with 2.6?
>
> Of course we don't, that's why Linus is fanatic in keeping binary
> compatibility. That's why apps compiled against Linux 0.9 still run
> a decade later on 2.6.x. Unmodified.

But not on Fedora Core, they won't, I'm fairly sure.  Remember a.out binaries?
http://www.ofb.net/~jheiss/aout_redhat.shtml

[jat48 at thacker SOURCES]$ grep AOUT kernel-2.6.11-i686.config
# CONFIG_BINFMT_AOUT is not set
[jat48 at thacker i386]$ ls -l /lib/ld-
ld-2.3.4.so    ld-linux.so.2
And the lack of libc.so.4, in addition to libc5 and the aforementioned
glibc21.

Except for users who consider their binary drivers to be "apps," or
at least essential to running certain applications or games.  If they
upgrade the kernel and suddenly they can't play games because they
don't have accelerated 3D drives, that's going to look like a problem.

Then there are "apps" like VMWare that require kernel modules.  Those have
to be recompiled when the kernel changes, and the kernel interface does
change enough to cause problems.  See:
http://thomer.com/linux/migrate-to-2.6.html

This one actually rather confuses me:
http://icculus.org/lgfaq/#descent326oh

"Q: Descent 3 doesn't work on my 2.6 kernel, how can I fix it?

A: su - to root, cd to your Descent 3 directory (/usr/local/games/descent3,
usually). Then ln -s ppics.hog PPics.Hog "

John Thacker