Getting SRPM from Extras

Kenneth Porter shiva at sewingwitch.com
Wed Apr 20 12:43:19 UTC 2005

--On Saturday, April 16, 2005 3:48 PM -0700 "Michael A. Peters"
<mpeters at mac.com> wrote:

> There is a potential issue, it can result in other packages you want not
> having their requirements meant because they require the older version,
> those usually can be worked around (often just rebuilding the src.rpm so
> it links against the version you have) - but that's not generally
> recommended for people who just need things to work without having to
> futz around.

Yep, that's why I wouldn't do it with glibc or the kernel. The closest
candidate would be MySQL, because I needed some v4 features and I knew the
upgrade was going to break other things like PHP. Upgrading by repackaging
something like that with lots of dependencies takes a bit of planning.