hald hitting ACPI files in fc4t1

David Zeuthen david at fubar.dk
Fri Apr 1 21:10:55 UTC 2005

On Fri, 2005-04-01 at 16:05 -0500, Dave Jones wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 01, 2005 at 01:00:31PM -0800, Pete Zaitcev wrote:
>  > Hello:
>  >
>  > I installed fc4t1 and noticed that totem's video stutters quite a bit.
>  > Sometimes the keyboard input in gnome-terminal feels lagging, too.
>  > It turned out that hald was causing it. Running strace on it showed
>  > nothing more than periodic access of ACPI files in /proc. My hypothesis
>  > is that these accesses cause AML interpreter to work.
>  >
>  > I have two questions. Is this something new or interesting (e.g. do you want
>  > a bug)? And, can something be done about it (can it be made to poll once a
>  > minute or so)?
>
> Which files is it polling ?  I'm betting the battery files?

Right, hald was reading /proc/api/battery/BAT0/state something like four
times every 5 seconds. Now we read it once every 30 secs like e.g.
battstat-applet-2.

I wish we didn't have to poll but the kernel or underlying hardware
doesn't give us updates too often on the /proc/acpi/event socket...

> If so, I agree these shouldn't be polled too often as they can be
> hurrendously slow on some systems.

It also causes the clock to drift.

David