Proper way to autoload modules (/etc/rc.modules)?

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net
Mon Apr 4 08:36:49 UTC 2005

On Sun, Apr 03, 2005 at 12:16:42PM -0400, Ignacio Vazquez-Abrams wrote:
> On Sun, 2005-04-03 at 13:26 +0200, Axel Thimm wrote:
> > This mechanism looks fine to me, but for one it says "backward
> > compatibility", so there must be some more modern approach, and
> > secondly it is sourcing in one file only, e.g. autoloading would have
> > to be edited instead of dropped in.
>
> Editing rc.sysinit around line 150 or so is the "modern" way, but it is
> still ugly.
>
> > If there is no better mechanism, then please consider shipping an
> > /etc/rc.modules that sources in /etc/rc.modules.d/* or similar, so
> > packages can simply drop in a module loading script.
>
> +1

Then how about

/etc/rc.modules:

#! /bin/sh

# Don't modify this file, instead create a module loading script
# under /etc/rc.modules.d

for x in `ls /etc/rc.modules.d/* 2>/dev/null | \
          LC_ALL=C grep -v '~$'`; do
  test -x $x && $x
done

Should this file and the %dir /etc/rc.modules.d become part of the
initscript package (as well as a commented example using pcspkr)? It
looks harmless enough to make it to FC4 if approved. Bill ist the
master of this package, Bill, is it worth a patch in bugzilla?
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net