A case for orinoco drivers

Ralf Ertzinger fedora-devel at camperquake.de
Mon Apr 4 19:03:36 UTC 2005

Hi.

Given that FC4 will ship with NetworkManager and that NM needs monitor mode,
that the in-kernel orinoco driver can not do that and that orinocos are
widely used, I'd like to know what the policy on the driver will be.

The reason I am asking is that the 0.15 line of drivers fail to support
monitor mode on Lucent cards with a firmware > 8.00. This seems like
an obscure combination, but all Apple Airport cards (the old ones) which
have been in contact with a recent OSX once have this newer firmware
(OSX updates it automagically). 0.15 disables monitor mode because it
is deemed instable (and it is, you can force it on but it crashes the
card quite quickly). The older version (0.13 w/ monitor patch) runs just
fine in monitor mode (i am currently building it as a extra module against
the RH kernels on my iBook).

Any thoughts on 0.15 vs 0.13?

--
Q. What's the difference between a seamstress and a violist?
A. The seamstress tucks up the frills.