OpenOffice.org 2.0 packages for FC3?

Mikko Huhtala mhuhtala at abo.fi
Wed Apr 6 11:10:03 UTC 2005

I sent this question to fedora-list earlier, but it seemed to be the
wrong crowd or maybe the message just got lost in the noise.

Are there plans to provide OpenOffice.org 2.0 RPMs as updates to FC3
(I realize this is unlikely considering the status of GCJ in FC3)?

We are using OOo on a number of FC3 desktops, and I'd be interested in
upgrading to OOo 2.0 when it is released and still have OOo installed
locally as a RPM. We cannot do a wholesale upgrade to FC4 (more like
FC5 or later). /opt is on NFS on all machines, so vanilla 2.0 could
always go there, but then the users would likely have to learn about
one version in /opt and another in /usr (and the default FC Gnome
panel etc.). Updating the local RPM would be much better.

I tried installing the OOo packages from the development stream with
yum, which, of course, pulled in GCC 4 et al. with it. That version of
OOo seemed very unstable (Impress crashed almost immediately, whatever I
tried to do with it). I don't know whether that was because it is a beta
or because I was running FC4 development packages on FC3.

Are the release version packages from openoffice.org itself going to be
RPMs? The current beta ones are a bit odd, with the many 'core' RPMs and
files going in /opt. I guess the FC3 OOo RPMs could be replaced with
those, anyway, and the Sun JRE also be installed as a RPM.

Mikko