OpenOffice.org 2.0 packages for FC3?

Mikko Huhtala mhuhtala at abo.fi
Wed Apr 6 12:22:50 UTC 2005

Caolan McNamara writes:
 > I know of successful builds and deployment from the OOo src.rpm under
 > RHEL-4 by getting the rawhide gcc src.rpm and building it as a
 > replacement for the gcc4 package, and then rebuilding the ooo src.rpm.
 > The OOo spec has support for building c/c++ with gcc 3 and the java bits
 > with gcj4.

Thanks a lot for your reply!

I _was_ wondering whether there was a way to update the gcc4 packages
and build OOo that way. I look for instructions on this or just try to
figure it out on my own.

 > The upstream release are also in RPMS, which install into /opt. They'll
 > be larger and slower than ours (piles of redundant duplicate libs), have
 > the old file picker by default, not be available for ppc, not have the
 > langpacks like we do, not have dictionaries for a pile of languages. But
 > they should install and work under fc3.

I believe the file picker is the new one in the betas from
openoffice.org, but other than that, I know it is not a good
solution. Especially RPMs installing in /opt is a major pain, since
/opt is shared via NFS at our site.

Mikko