Fedora Mini

seth vidal skvidal at phy.duke.edu
Wed Apr 6 13:36:29 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-04-06 at 07:21 -0400, Alan Cox wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 06, 2005 at 12:15:42AM -0700, Pete Zaitcev wrote:
> > I am curious if anyone thought about starting some sort of "Small Server"
> > fork of Fedora. I figure it's not something that is a pure fantasy,
> > considering that Spot manages Aurora all by himself. Come to think of it,
> > what forks and derivatives of Fedora do we know?
>
> There have been tools like miniconda. I've been down this path a bit and you
> hit a single fundamental near-insoluble problem - up2date/yum/rpm. They burn
> resources and need some major rework at the rpm level - work that nobody
> afaik is assigned to do (I suspect we are talking full time engineer on
> such work).
>
> apt + dpkg on the other hand sucks in lots of other ways but works.

the memory footprint in yum in rawhide has come way down for
non-transaction things, but you'd still need to break up the transaction
into chunks to keep the rpm ts from being to big for a global update,
for example. It's not impossible, actually, it would just take some
restructuring. The only question is - how little ram are we talking
about now?

-sv