updates-released bind-libs package conflict with sendmail

Rich West rich.west at gmail.com
Thu Apr 7 01:08:31 UTC 2005

I had just migrated over our production server running FC3 (from a machine
running FC2) last Friday evening.  The machine had been running for almost a
month in parallel with the production server.

Things went *very* smoothly.  On Tuesday, it was scheduled to have sendmail
upgrade from the stock 8.13.1 install to the current 8.13.4 version.

The RPM was built, rolled off of the 8.13.1 spec file with some minor
modifications to some of the patches, and installed.

Instantly, it was discovered that mail was unable to be delivered to any local
user (users are stored in LDAP) not in the /etc/passwd file.

After rolling back to the stock version, and a lengthy period of debugging
(attempts with builds made from the stock 8.13.1 SRPM among other tests, all of
which failed in the same manner), it was discovered that the BIND-LIBS
updates-released package for Fedora Core 3 contained new libraries (libbind.so,
libbind.so.3, libbind.so.3.0.8) and that these new libraries conflicted with the
build sendmail.

Once these libs were removed from /usr/lib, sendmail on Fedora Core 3 was able
to be built and run with no problems.

I am not sure where to report this issue, but I figured I would "spread the
word" in the event that others may experience the same problem.