gnome-vfs not in Rawhide?

Dimitrie O. Paun dpaun at rogers.com
Thu Apr 7 21:11:32 UTC 2005

On Thu, Apr 07, 2005 at 11:57:37AM -0400, John Thacker wrote:
> FC always includes all the libraries that programs it ships depend on.
> Are we saying that we can't drop any library that any program, no matter
> how old, no matter how unmaintained depends on?

No, what he's saying is that not all libs are created equal:
some are more equal than others.

In other works, some libs are part of the platform. Being part of said
platform (and gtk+ *was* part of it), it means there's an unwritten
contract between the developers of the distribution and the developers
of 3rd party software (be they open source or proprietary, it doesn't
matter), that people can _depend_ on them being around. And when you
depend on something, you pretty much *expect* that support to be there.
Forever. Windows did it, and it serve them well.

Particularly, in this case it costs us *very little* -- just some space.
This is not a crazy proposition. Technologically, space increases
exponentially, so the cost associated with the support for backwards
compatibility decreases quite fast. There's too much at stake
(mind share, trust, etc.) to justify the trivial cost in space.

--
Dimi.