Proper way to autoload modules (/etc/rc.modules)?

Pete Zaitcev zaitcev at redhat.com
Fri Apr 8 02:14:07 UTC 2005

On Wed, 06 Apr 2005 15:08:14 -0400 Peter Jones <pjones at redhat.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 2005-04-06 at 00:22 -0700, Pete Zaitcev wrote:
>
> > So far I did not see a good reason to keep /etc/rc.modules around
> > in this thread (with a possible exception of pcspkr, because it
> > plugs into HID; but even there a smart kernel patch ought to help).
>
> There's a lot of utility to having them get loaded very, very early.  If
> you're going to do this in init.d, you're basically asking for people to
> start naming services "a_module" and putting them as script 0 so they
> get to be S00a_module and started early.  That's just ugly and messy.

This paragraph might have been persuasive if it included examples.

> But at the same time, once somebody actually starts using this
> rc.modules.d idea, they're going to quickly discover that they want
> ordering there, as well, to make sure e.g. the various usb hcd modules
> are loaded in the order they want.

I don't think so. First, USB is processed in a special way, and I asked not
to bring it up in the very first message (after which someone immediately
replied with a discussion about USB). But second, HCD modules are not
ordered, even in case of EHCI and its companion controllers. If you see
different results depending on the loading order, file a bug.

> Putting "finding a space" in init.d isn't particularly hard, but it will
> start to get awfully cluttered at some point. [...]

Just what is your definition of "awfully cluttered"? I noticed that all
my directories get much bigger and filesystem trees way branchier when
I use Nautilus, because with ls I try to keep them smaller than one
screenful subconsciously. Or do you have any other criteria?

-- Pete