Proper way to autoload modules (/etc/rc.modules)?

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net
Fri Apr 8 11:36:39 UTC 2005

On Thu, Apr 07, 2005 at 10:11:49PM -0700, Pete Zaitcev wrote:
> I'm sending you round to gather examples because while it's intuitively
> obvious that /etc/rc.modules is useful, it really has no reason to exist.

The capabilities modules were mentioned a couple times, e.g. any
module that has no detectable hardware or no hardware at all mapped
to.

> Yes, we all used it at one time or other, as a shortcut while a proper
> solution was not available. I think I have a box which loads vt8231
> from /etc/rc.modules myself. That's all fine, and perhaps we ought to
> keep it around forever. But making it more legitimate with /etc/modules.d
> or some such has no reason.

If you don't create a proper mechanism to channel these few issues you
will have them wildering around in places where they do not belong. Is
that really better?
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net