Proper way to autoload modules (/etc/rc.modules)?

David Zeuthen david at fubar.dk
Fri Apr 8 14:41:12 UTC 2005

On Fri, 2005-04-08 at 10:01 +0200, Arjan van de Ven wrote:
> oh and the things udev has to pin devices to names..

The only really interesting mainstream example I can think of right now
is that people have to write udev rules to get the /dev/pilot link (most
of the time to /dev/ttyUSB0, sometimes to /dev/ttyUSB1 depending on the
actual hardware) so pam_console assigns the right permissions for the
console user and e.g. gnome-pilot can find the PDA.

Actually we now have code in hal to recognize PDA's so a) we can change
the permissions accordingly; and b) desktop software can ask HAL about
these so there is no need to have a horrible "Select /dev file dialog".
I hope at least we can get a) right for FC4.

Cheers,
David