kde 3.4

Nick Bargnesi nbargnesi at gmail.com
Fri Apr 8 15:20:09 UTC 2005

On Apr 8, 2005 9:55 AM, Jeff Spaleta <jspaleta at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Apr 8, 2005 9:44 AM, Arjan van de Ven <arjanv at redhat.com> wrote:
> > nobody who was so violent and loud about RH
> > changing the default theme complains about them ;) Must be not popular
> > to pointlessly moan about those, while it seems to be a sports to do so
> > about RH / Fedora
>
> Or its just an indication that Fedora has a critical mass of a certain
> type of user, compared to other distributions. Or in the RH/Fedora
> versus Suse case specifically, an indication that the communication
> between the end-user and the developers is more open for RH/Fedora,
> making it easier to get a response to angry rants over changes and
> thus encouraging people to speak their mind, even about trivial
> things.
>
> -jef
>
> --

Being a KDE/QT developer and an avid follower of the desktop, I've got
to chime in.  Red Hat's treatment of KDE today is fair and not
unlike's SuSE and Mandriva's treatment.  Every linux box I administer
has KDE as the default environment, running of course on Fedora Core.

As for upgrading, if KDE 3.4 is desired, there are RPMS built for
Fedora Core 3 on the KDE mirrors for i386 archs:
ftp://ftp.rutgers.edu/pub/kde/stable/3.4/RedHat/Fedora3/

The are no x86_64 RPMS but SRPMS are available to create your own.
The underlying problem to this discussion seems to be that as time
progresses, people want there personal preferences integrated into
their favorite distribution.  One of the reasons people are migrating
to Linux is undoubtedly the choices the move provides you.  But when
it comes down to it, William Beebe can have his default untainted look
(set KDEHOME to something like /home/the_beebe/Untained, configure and
use), Arjan can do less typing by not responding to complaints, and
the mass of complaining Fedora users can complain about something
else.  All it takes is to remember that your a Linux user and a little
bit of intelligence goes a long way.

--

Nick Bargnesi
http://www.den-4.com

pub  1024D/E8BD2FD0 2004-12-02 Nick Bargnesi <nbargnesi at gmail.com>
Key fingerprint = 6F9D 9404 63CD 2B04 DE7A  0F9D A1ED C1B0 E8BD 2FD0
sub  2048g/56C5D45B 2004-12-02