kde 3.4

Nick Bargnesi nbargnesi at gmail.com
Fri Apr 8 20:29:31 UTC 2005

On Apr 8, 2005 2:42 PM, The DJ <djotaku1282 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hey,
>
> Sorry, I didn't intend to start a flame war about
> customization.  I just use the rpms from the
> kde-redhat-stable and I saw they had 3.4 KDE
> available.  I wanted to use it if it wouldn't break my
> computer when I try to upgrade to FC4 later on in
> June.  I had accidentally half-updated to 3.4 with the
> artwork because I didn't notice the version number
> when I yummed, so I was trying to see if it was ok to
> do the rest of it.
>
> I guess, from the responses, that it probably isn't
> going to be a big deal to do it.
>
> For the record, [for me] it's not about being
> different from Fedora or that I think they have a
> broken KDE.  I just like having the latest stuff and
> if I can have it now instead of June, I will.  (As
> long as it doesn't give me a larger headache in June)

Agree - I've always had the latest KDE stable using konstruct.  I'd
suggest to you, set the KDEHOME environmental variable to something
useful say ~/Settings.  Once FC4 comes, if you're doing an upgrade,
remove the kde-redhat-stable RPMS you installed and install FC4's.
Your old ~/Settings KDEHOME directory will carry your preferences
through KDE versions.  The only downside, anything you built against
the old KDE version will have to be rebuilt against the new one.