apache2filter

Marc Richards mrichar1 at swarthmore.edu
Fri Apr 8 23:43:02 UTC 2005

Hey everyone,

I saw in the release notes for RHEL 4 that they have switched from
apache2filter to apache2handler for processing PHP files.  I just
checked my copy of FC2 and noticed that apache2handler was being used as
well.  I have couple questions:

1) Will FC4 be using handler or the filter?

2) Does anybody know why the switch was made from handler to filter for
RHEL3 -> RHEL4 (and presumably RH9/FC1 -> FC2)?

Using the filter (on RHEL3) allows me to easily include PHP output in my
regular html page by turning on the IncludesNoExec directive.
IncludesNoExec doesn't work using the handler because it only works with
text/* file types and in order to associate php files with the handler
you have to use AddType application/x-httpd-php .php.  Using the
Includes (no NoExec) directive is bad because it lets web developers
execute command line programs from within .html pages.

Is there another way to achieve what I want with the apache2handler? or
is there some other flaw in my logic?

Thanks.

Marc