NCPFS Support

Arjan van de Ven arjanv at redhat.com
Sun Apr 10 10:49:39 UTC 2005

> Well it's listed under Packages Deprecated
>       * ncpfs — No longer part of Fedora Core profile
>
> I guest my question is, why is it being deprecated?

the thing you need to realize is that novell added tcp/ip support to
netware somewhere in the 1990's ;)
most of these tools are both hardly maintained and often for the pre-tcp
era of netware...

I don't know the exact reason for this one, but in general one should
realize that network facing tools by their nature are a security risk.
For things like the apache webserver you accept that because 1) the risk
is relatively low because of the "many eyes on the omnipresent tool"
concept and 2) the value it provides is very high. For ncpfs I would
argue the opposite is sort of true; it's relatively obscure which by
their nature means both undertested and underreviewed and at the same
time the value added by the thing is also somewhat less than that of the
apache web server. Imo this balance should always be a consideration for
package inclusion in any distribution.