xdelta for DVD ISO-images

Chris Adams cmadams at hiwaay.net
Mon Apr 11 13:46:40 UTC 2005

Once upon a time, Chuck R. Anderson <cra at WPI.EDU> said:
> Even better: create jigdo templates on the master server so that
> people can choose to download the files and create their own CD and
> DVD ISO images.  Imaging the savings that mirrors can have by rsyncing
> release trees like they do now, and regenerating the ISO images
> locally.

I don't know about other mirrors, but I minimize my downloads by
downloading the CD images, running my mkdvd script on them to build a
DVD image, and rsyncing that to get the "real" DVD image.  I then
extract the DVD image to the os directory, run yum-arch and createrepo,
and rsync that to fix up timestamps.

I also only download the SRPMS images for one architecture; I copy them
to the other arches and rsync them to get them right (it seems to save a
significant amount of download time).

--
Chris Adams <cmadams at hiwaay.net>