Proper way to autoload modules (/etc/rc.modules)?

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net
Tue Apr 12 11:16:24 UTC 2005

On Mon, Apr 11, 2005 at 11:56:01PM -0400, Peter Jones wrote:
> On Fri, 2005-04-08 at 20:11 +0200, Axel Thimm wrote:
> > On Fri, Apr 08, 2005 at 10:06:00AM -0400, pjones wrote:
> > > For things that don't present devices, that's a different story, but in
> > > general I think they have less need to be dropped into place by non-Core
> > > packages.  Unfortunately, that's not "no need", but I don't know that
> > > it's enough to justify adding such a broad, generic mechanism.
> >
> > So, what are the disadvantages of doing so?
>
> Additional unexpected complication when something goes wrong?

IMHO it's the opposite, if you have channeled these modules loading
scripts into a standard mechanism you know where to look for errors.

As of today if a package/user requires this functionality it needs to
invent something, I've seen from modifying /etc/rc.modules to fake
services to modifying rc.sysinit, none of which make diagnostics
easy.
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net