Preventing spammers from infiltrating the Red Hat mailing lists

William M. Quarles walrus at bellsouth.net
Wed Apr 13 20:53:53 UTC 2005

Jamie Zawinski wrote:

> I've had the same extremely public email address for ten years,
> and spam is a total non-problem for me.
>
> Learn to use filters, and get an ISP that subscribes to MAPS UBL
> and quit your whining.
>
> Or, don't use email.
>
> Intentionally obfuscating or hiding email addresses destroys the
> utility of mail as a communications medium.  This cure is worse
> than the disease.

Why, changing my e-mail address to read walrus bellsouth.net on the Red
Hat site is too challenging for you?  At least it fools a stupid
computer looking for it.  Although I agree that when the archives
completely delete e-mail addresses than it is useless, but the archives
that I have contacted about that say that they have to because they get
daily requests from people to completely remove even obfuscated e-mail
addresses.

Look into the Gmane encryption, it is a worthwhile solution to the news
spider problem.  And it doesn't inhibit the functioning of the mailing
list whatsoever.  If you don't use Gmane the only reason why you would
care is because it keeps the spam spiders away, and that's a good thing
to care about.

<http://gmane.org/tmda.php>

William