Preventing spammers from infiltrating the Red Hat mailing lists

William M. Quarles walrus at bellsouth.net
Thu Apr 14 01:27:35 UTC 2005

Jeff Spaleta wrote:

> On 4/13/05, William M. Quarles <walrus at bellsouth.net> wrote:
>
>>Apparently you guys haven't bothered to look at what Gmane actually does
>>to inhibit the spiders.  It's not just "user at example.com."  They do
>>that on the website for groups that fail to do the following: they
>>actually *encrypt* your e-mail address and force the sender to verify
>>themselves.  Read more.
>>
>>http://gmane.org/tmda.php
>

> I've read that url.. and it says that list maintainers have to REQUEST
> encryption to be turned on. Its not somethign list maintainers turn on
> themselves.. it something gmame turns on at the request of list
> maintainers. That url doesn't even explain to whom at gmame you make
> the request.

List maintainers request it on the form when they add their list to the
service, or they can contact the Gmane staff directly to request such a
change afterwards.  It isn't so hard.

> If this is a gmame feature that list maintainers have to request be
> turned on... why the hell isnt gmame turning this feature on by
> default for ALL the lists they archive? Why do list maintainers have
> to request this feature? Why do list maintainers have to know about
> gmame's existance at all?  gmame needs to turn this on for ALL the
> lists they archive and then let maintainers opt-out of it instead of
> opt-in.  I consider this a problem with how gmame is managed. They
> should be defaulting to encypted usernames in the newgroup archives
> and save list maintainers the trouble of tracking this down and
> interacting with gmame at all.

Rather than complaining about how who does what let's get down to this:
if you want address encryption turned on for Gmane, contact the list
administrator.  It is not very hard for them to take care of, trust me.

Thanks,
William