default media player

Nicu Buculei nicu_fedora at nicubunu.ro
Fri Apr 15 06:01:09 UTC 2005

Matthias Saou wrote:
> Jeff Spaleta wrote :
>
>>If there are differing opinions grounded in technical criteria for
>>helix still being the default, I'd appreciate hearing them for
>>perspective.
>

> Me too : Totem is the obvious choice for Fedora Core, and I still don't
> understand why nor how Helix got to steal its place. I guess someone
> should just file a bug report regarding the default comps to have the
> replacement happen?

I see two possible reasons for having Helix in the past releases as default:
- until recently Totem was not considered mature enough even by its
developers (it was neither the default player in Gnome), but this is not
the case anymore
- last year Red Hat signed an agreement with Real to bundle Helix
http://www.realnetworks.com/company/press/releases/2004/real_redhat.html

--
nicu