Boot from ICH6R Intel Software SATA Raid? ... solution.

Chuck R. Anderson cra at WPI.EDU
Sun Apr 17 15:31:24 UTC 2005

On Sun, Apr 17, 2005 at 04:16:37PM +0100, Keith G. Robertson-Turner wrote:
> I'm now looking at rolling a custom boot/setup CD, initrd and GRUB
> install script for FC4t1.
>
> SATA CD/DVD drives is still an ongoing issue, however. For now you will
> need an IDE/SCSI optical drive to boot off, at least for the install.
>
> I believe it should be offered as a separate option, since this is all
> still officially "unstable" - i.e. - a mini-CD for installing on
> fakeraid systems. Thoughts?

When I was looking into an anaconda LVM problem, I noticed that these
device classes are not going to work in the booty code, due to the way
it assumes how devices and partitions are named:

/dev/ataraid/d0p1
/dev/amiraid/ar0p1
/dev/cbd/[a-z]
/dev/emd/0p1
/dev/i2o/hda[a-z]
/dev/iseries/vda[a-f]
/dev/umem/d0p1
/dev/sx8/0p1

Are any of these devices involved in the problems with SATA or
pseudo-RAID?