mounting external harddisk with fstab-sync as a non-root user

Didier Casse elprodigio at gmail.com
Wed Apr 20 16:34:37 UTC 2005

Hi everybody,
                     First of all I apologize for posting this
question here. I posted on the fedora-list but obtained no
satisfactory answer. :-(

I'll try not to repeat that.

I'm using

kernel 2.6.10-1.770_FC3
hotplug-2004_04_01-8.1
hal-0.4.7-1.FC3

The thing is when I plug an external harddisk on my laptop,  Gnome
sets the mount points at /media/whatever and mounts the drives. Icons
even pop-up on the desktop. But when i try to view it as a normal user
(click on the drive icons), it says I don't have the correct
permission.

I realize that i can only read the external drive mountpoint ONLY as
ROOT! When i do an ls /media/whatever as a normal user, I get access
denied.

How to enable Gnome or fstab-sync to mount the drive so that a normal
user can read it?

This is silly that I have to become super user to see my Gnome-mounted
drives! When I set user permissions in fstab, it just stays there for
a while and are overwritten when I plug out and in again my external
USB harddisk. Thanks for any insight.

I hope in FC4, users would be able to just  plug-in their harddrive
and read it on the spot. ;-)

--
Cheers,
Didier.

Didier F.B Casse | PhD candidate | LiMiNT Beamline
Singapore Synchrotron Light Source (SSLS), 5 Research Link, Singapore 117603
Email: elprodigioREMOVE_THIS_ANTISPAM_MOJO at gmail.com|
Web: http://ssls.nus.edu.sg | GPG Key 1024D/B3C57D01 2004-06-23