mounting external harddisk with fstab-sync as a non-root user

Per Bjornsson perbj at stanford.edu
Thu Apr 21 05:16:06 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-04-21 at 12:55 +0800, Didier Casse wrote:
> Those external hard disks are getting really popular nowadays and and
> lot of people would get one in the near future... What are Redhat's
> plans for things like these?

Well, I have never seen an external device that didn't come pre-
formatted with some FAT variant... Not that external hard disks with
some other filesystem don't exist, I have a couple of ext3-formatted
external disks myself, but I did that on purpose. Did your friend
reformat the disk at some point?

> Again thanks for the reply. If there's no other solution, I guess I'll
> tell him to convert the filesystem.

For now, VFAT is certainly the way to go for universal interoperability,
even though it sucks in many other ways.

/Per

--
Per Bjornsson <perbj at stanford.edu>
Ph.D. Candidate, Department of Applied Physics, Stanford University