fedora 4 test 2 on ppc (dual proc g5)

Colin Charles byte at aeon.com.my
Thu Apr 21 23:47:04 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-04-21 at 13:04 -0400, Joe.Hoot at itec.suny.edu wrote:

> I just downloaded the fedora core test2 for ppc.  I rebooted my PPC
> Dual G5.  I was prompted by yaboot and hit enter to except the default
> kernel "linux."  The kernel starts to load and then dies.  I shutdown
> the machine and started it back up and at yaboot, typed linux nofb.
>  It started to load again and then died again.  Here is the output
> when it stops booting:

Wrong list, fedora-test-list is where this should go

> opening display /pci at 0,fd000000/NVDA,Parent at 10/NVDA,Display-B at 1... ok
> copying 0F device tree...done
> starting cpu /cpus/PowerPC,G5...failed: 0000000

Don't have a g5, but that surely looks wrong

> Initializing fake screen: NVDA,Display-A
> Calling quiesce ...
> returning 0x01400000 from prom_init
>
> Invalid memory access at    SRR0:  00000000.01403b7c    SRR1:
> 10000000.000083030

> Any suggestions?  Is this a problem with dual proc g5's?  Is there any
> way to disable SMP with a kernel parameter that can be passwed?

max_cpus=1 might work. In fact, whats in there might actually be a
uniprocessor kernel, because there was a bug (or still is a bug) in
relation to the installation

So hit tab, and don't boot into linux (there should be another kernel there, its just not the default)
Colin Charles, byte at aeon.com.my
http://www.bytebot.net/
then you win." -- Mohandas Gandhi