removing esd - seems possible now?

Matthew Lenz matthew at nocturnal.org
Fri Apr 22 17:20:33 UTC 2005

I think the big issue people have with ESD is that it historically has
been configured to hold onto the audio device and not let it go.  I
assume its possible to configure the system to use software mixing with
alsa (dmix) and force ESD to use ALSA.  This way the applications that
want to use ESD output modules for NTA (network transparent audio) can
do so without imposing that requirement on other applications which want
to use ALSA directly or ALSA OSS emulation.  The real question is to
whether or not ESD still tryies to hold onto the audio device directly.
If it does then a new sound server that doesn't exibit that behavior is
to a great advantage.  What it all comes down to is sound on most all
linux distro's "Just doesn't work"(tm) most of the time and it should.

-Matt