Why No Spider Monkey in Elinks

Janina Sajka janina at rednote.net
Sun Apr 24 13:15:13 UTC 2005

Warren Togami writes:
> Janina Sajka wrote:
> >
> >Not meaning to be pushy, but I'm still waiting--unless I'm missing
> >something, and the fixed js/js-devel is in Extras already.
> >
> >Or, was/am I misunderstanding something? Thanks.
>
> Core elinks cannot build against Extras js unless we move js into Core.
>  If this is the only way we will be able to support sight impaired
> users, then this is probably a good resaon to add it to Core.  I will
> ask the release managers if we can add it.

Thank you. As you know, js is very prevalent on web pages today. An
elinks compiled with spidermonkey goes a long way toward making
javascripted content accessible, so providing this would be a solid move
forward.

We're expecting the accessibility work in Mozilla to help eventually,
but that's not going to happen in time for FC4, and maybe even not in
time for FC5. So, an elinks with js support would be a solid step
forward for accessibility.