java-1.4.2-gcj-compat uninstalls sun jre

Warren Togami wtogami at redhat.com
Wed Apr 27 08:43:47 UTC 2005

Nicolas Mailhot wrote:
> On Mer 27 avril 2005 5:00, djh a écrit :
>>>
>>>We really can't ship FC4 in such a way that Sun's jre (which is
>>>feature complete today) is uninstalled seemingly without warning when
>>>gcj is not complete yet.
>>

>>It's not just the Provides: jre causing the problem.  The Sun JDK/JRE
>>rpms have a Provides: xml-commons-apis.  Upgrading the Fedora
>>xml-commons-apis rpm uninstalls the Sun rpms too.
>

> All the various jvm packages need to have more or less the same provides
> or you can't switch them at will.
>
> The problem with Sun packages is they never tried to work with anyone to
> make sure their stuff works (for example they added the xml-commons
> provides without putting the associated jar in a place our scripts can
> find it, so not installing a separate commons implementation will get you
> errors at tomcat startup)

Hmm, sounds like we have no options for flexibility here.

I wonder if it would be legal for us to ship a "install-sun-java" script
with Fedora that downloads their java tarballl, runs the binary (so the
user has to type "yes"), repackages it and spits out a jpackage RPM.
This would be simpler for documentation and would steer people away from
their problematic RPM.  And yes I'm serious about this if it would be legal.

Only thing I don't know is if this would conflict with our native open
source java.

Warren Togami
wtogami at redhat.com