GDM early login

Matthew Lenz matthew at nocturnal.org
Thu Apr 28 03:21:56 UTC 2005

I just enabled it tonight.  Just to be sure does it still require the run
time changes in xfs and syslog ?  I made them and everything seemed to work,
but wasn't sure since all the other changes are now in cvs if they are still
needed.

[OTish] I was talking to Brian Cameron (main GDM developer at the moment
from what I see in gnome/cvs) and he is adding some additional "themeing"
functionality to the picture greeter functionality.  It would be nice to see
a picture greeter as the default login for local GDM connections on fedora.
I put the bug in his ear about how the current user list isn't themeable and
he contacted me a few days later to let me know some stuff was going into
CVS to help with that.

I also brought up the early-login functionality you guys are working on but
he didn't comment.  I also put a bug in his ear about triggered animation in
gdm.  Lots of this stuff might not make sense for XDMCP connections but
it'll go a long way in improving the professional look of Fedora/Redhat as a
mainstream desktop env.

btw, the early-login stuff is neat.  Really looking forward to the day when
it pops up immediately after the hardware init and lets me login before all
the services have started :)  You guys rock.