GDM early login

Matthew Lenz matthew at nocturnal.org
Fri Apr 29 15:07:34 UTC 2005

On Fri, 2005-04-29 at 15:19 +0100, David Woodhouse wrote:
> On Wed, 2005-04-27 at 22:21 -0500, Matthew Lenz wrote:
> > btw, the early-login stuff is neat.  Really looking forward to the day when
> > it pops up immediately after the hardware init and lets me login before all
> > the services have started :)  You guys rock.
>
> Early login isn't quite what I'm after. On a desktop machine I almost
> never reboot hence never really care about it. On the laptop I'd rather
> not have it wait for my to log in at all. I want gdm to do its automatic
> login thing for me, then invoke xscreensaver to lock the screen if my
> mobile phone isn't within Bluetooth range.
>
> --
> dwmw2

better yet, why not have it read your brainwaves. 8^D ;)  actually
thought that would be neat functionality.  It has nothing to do with gdm
or early-login though.  Really its just xscreensaver + some other
userspace app that does a xscreensaver-command --lock when your phone
goes out of range.  you could do that regardless.  Doesn't keeping
bluetooth running and communicating with your system suck the batteries
dry pretty fast though? :)