rawhide report: 20050807 changes

Dave Jones davej at redhat.com
Mon Aug 8 18:38:15 UTC 2005

On Mon, Aug 08, 2005 at 10:09:09AM +0200, Arjan van de Ven wrote:
 > On Mon, 2005-08-08 at 00:38 -0400, Dave Jones wrote:
 > >
 > > The fact that it reports the unknown param as `' is disconcerting.
 > > ISTR that this change fell over if it met a modprobe.conf with
 > > spaces at the end of a line. Can you check that yours hasn't
 > > got any ? If that doesn't make the errors go away, post your
 > > /etc/modprobe.conf, and I'll check the drivers to see which (if any)
 > > of the params went away.
 >
 > kudzu has a script to rename kernel modules in modprobe.conf if they
 > change name that the kernel spec calls... maybe we should teach that
 > script to remove trailing whitespace as well ;)

In this case I think the kernel really is being far too anal about
its checking. We could (and probably should) fix up kudzu to do as
you suggest, but if someone hand edits their modprobe.conf,
it's very easy for something like this to creep back in[*], and cause
much headscratching to both user, and me when "my sounds stopped working"
turns up in bugzilla again.

		Dave

[*] Judging by the amount of trailing whitespace I see in the kernel
sources, there must be at least one commonly used editor out there
which performs such braindamage just by moving the cursor to
the end of the line.