ioctl's and USB drives (and just plain ATA)

Pete Zaitcev zaitcev at redhat.com
Tue Aug 16 22:10:04 UTC 2005

On Tue, 09 Aug 2005 22:59:15 +0200, Leonard den Ottolander <leonard at den.ottolander.nl> wrote:
> On Tue, 2005-08-09 at 20:38, Jeff Layton wrote:

> Back to square one :-s . Anyway, if the SCSI emulation layer is dropping
> these commands it doesn't really matter if the USB device gets the
> translation right. Is there a way to work around the SCSI emulation
> layer so these commands at least get passed to the device?

You seem to assume emulation, which is wrong. The typical USB drive
enclosure uses actual SCSI commands, so there is no emulation.
It is said that usb-storage emulates SCSI _adapter_, which is true
in a way, but is not important.

> Related question: If I want to use TASKFILE ioctls with a 2.4 kernel do
>[...]
> implement/improve the ATA security features in hdparm.

Before you plunge into the taskfile, why don't you answer this:
do these password commands conform to ATAPI or ATA?
Again, you seem to assume ATA, but is this correct?

Since ATAPI is SCSI overlaid on top of ATA, it should be a piece of
cake to have them working. ATA is more difficult, but let's not
go there until we must.

And last, why in the world are you talking about 2.4 kernel in
a Fedora development list?

-- Pete