KDE RedHat project

Paul F. Johnon paul at all-the-johnsons.co.uk
Thu Aug 18 10:42:58 UTC 2005

Hi,

> Someone pointed out that xine-lib (non-free) was missing and I commented
> that this may not be an issue for newer versions of KDE (in Fedora)
> because it looks like KDE will be moving to gstreamer.

And if FC keeps up with this (almost) insane blocking of the likes of
libdvd and mp3, they'll be as pointless as totem currently is.

Would it be an idea for the likes of the packages FC cannot include in
the US to be available in countries where they are allowed, but have it
so US people can block them? At least that way, when I (in the UK)
install FC, I don't have to go on a hunt for xmms-mp3 and then use
freshrpms for xine.

It's a real ache to have to go hunting, especially when the likes of
SuSE and Mandriva don't put that sort of stopper on things. I can
understand the legal point of view and RH having to protect itself
against just about anyone who wants to make a quick buck without merit
(such as SCO), but going that way can mean that possibly OOo would be
removed due to being able to import/export MS proprietary formats.

TTFN

Paul
Dr Who