Bootup delays

Bart Vanbrabant bart.vanbrabant at zoeloelip.be
Fri Aug 5 17:27:18 UTC 2005

Bill Nottingham wrote:

>Bart Vanbrabant (bart.vanbrabant at zoeloelip.be) said:
>

>>>From kernel 1432 and 1433 in rawhide my boot process has some serious
>>delays where my system doesn't seem to do anything and doesn't respond.
>>This also happens when logining in and starting gnome.
>>I made a bootchart from the 1426 kernel which runs fine and one form
>>1433 which suffers from those delays.
>>http://files.zoeloelip.be/1426.png
>>http://files.zoeloelip.be/1433.png
>>

>Looks like there's a 30 second process of just insmod, unless it's grouping
>them. If you could track down what driver is being silly, that could
>help a lot.
>
>Bill

Hello,

I finally found the problem. It's caused by the battery acpi module. I
searched for insmod in rc.sysinit and there is only one part that uses
insmod instead of modprobe. When I change this into modprobe my system
boots normal and haldeamon starts. But the battery-applet doesn't work.
I tried to do /sbin/insmod battery.ko and it takes a long time to finish.
Hal crashes when I boot with a new kernel. I now move the battery.ko module out the acpi directory, this way I can boot in a normal way but the battery applet doesn't work of course.

What should I do now?

Cheers,

Bart

--
Bart Vanbrabant <bart.vanbrabant at zoeloelip.be>
PGP fingerprint: 093C BB84 17F6 3AA6 6D5E  FC4F 84E1 FED1 E426 64D1