tomorrows rawhide kernel.

Dave Jones davej at redhat.com
Sat Aug 13 16:28:58 UTC 2005

On Sat, Aug 13, 2005 at 09:26:18AM +0300, Dumitru Ciobarcianu wrote:

 > Warning, rant ahead, take it with a grain of salt :)
 >
 > În data de Vi, 12-08-2005 la 23:57 -0400, Dave Jones a scris:
 > > The current rawhide kernel (2.6.12-1.1482 and above) now has
 > > suspend to disk support enabled using the in-kernel software suspend.
 >
 > Did you looked at suspend2 [1]
 > The developer tryes (hard) to integrate it into the main kernel tree.

I'm aware of it, and bits of it will make their way into the upstream
tree slowly and surely.  I'm adverse to carrying large patches like
this in the Fedora kernel, especially when it deviates away slightly
from upstream functionality.

It's the sort of thing that gets us flamed to a crisp when people
try to use a kernel.org kernel on Fedora, and then find that functionality x
doesn't work with our userland.  Thankfully those days should be behind
us now.

 > > 1. Make sure you have a swap partition.
 > > (if you have >1, it'll only use the first one, so make sure
 > >  its at least as big as your RAM).  Whilst suspend does evict
 > >  some non-essential things from memory before it suspends,
 > >  it can still end up with quite a bit to write out.
 >
 > Why not an swap file or just an regular suspend file?  [2]

I never tested swapfiles, but it *should* work.

 > Why not use compression to speed things up alot ? [2]

When suspend2 bits get merged to the tree, we'll have this, not before.

 > > echo platform > /sys/power/disk
 > > echo disk > /sys/power/state
 > >
 > > (This will all be done in a much more user friendly way for the FC5 release)
 >
 > See the hibernate script mentioned below.

There's one in the pm-utils package, however for now, I'd like
people to try without it, as it blanks the screen during resume.
If it then locks up, we have no idea what happened.
During the early debugging phase, we'll need as much info as possible.

 > > 4. Stare at the gobs of info scrolling up the screen.
 > > (This will all be cleared up eventually, but for now it's
 > > potentially useful for debugging).
 >
 > Why not have purty text or fb UI ? [2]

one step at a time.

		Dave