tomorrows rawhide kernel.

Dave Jones davej at redhat.com
Sat Aug 13 17:26:56 UTC 2005

On Sat, Aug 13, 2005 at 10:49:56PM +0530, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
 > Dave Jones wrote:
 >
 > >As the rawhide kernel has been pretty boring and uneventful
 > >so far, this last day or two, Jeremy Katz and I managed to
 > >beat suspend to disk support into shape.
 > >
 > >The current rawhide kernel (2.6.12-1.1482 and above) now has
 > >suspend to disk support enabled using the in-kernel software suspend.
 > >At this early stage, play with this at your own risk! Doing the wrong
 > >things (or even the right things at the wrong time) can result in
 > >irrecoverable data loss.
 > >

 > checked this out
 >
 > Doesnt work on an SMP 1482 kernel. Works great on an UP one. What
 > information do you require to debug this?

define 'doesnt work' :-)
does it just lock up? at what stage? what hardware is in the box?

try unloading some drivers before you do the suspend.
(the pm-hibernate script will do this for you, but if you do it
 by hand, you should be able to narrow down which driver is causing
 the pain).

Jeremy and I did try an SMP kernel once, and it didn't work for us
either, but we didn't investigate it further.

File a bug on it, with as much info as possible, and we'll see
if we can get it figured out.  With the advent of HT & dual-core
CPUs that will inevitably end up in laptops at some point, we
have to make sure that SMP works too.

		Dave