/etc/sysconfig/harddisks deprecated?

Michel Alexandre Salim msalim at cs.indiana.edu
Mon Aug 15 20:45:27 UTC 2005

I normally tune my hard drives using /etc/sysconfig/harddisks, back when
using FC2, and after a few months of not running Fedora it was quite
surprising to me to find the settings not applied (my laptop boots Linux
with DMA enabled but IO support set to 16-bits, so the slow-down is
noticeable).

rpm -q --changelog initscripts | grep hdparm shows that Bill Nottingham
removed this in December 2004, so the questions are:

1. Shouldn't hdparm not include /e/s/harddisks anymore?
2. What is the current recommended method to tune hard drives?

Thanks,

--
- Michel Salim

To patch or not to patch: that is the question;
        Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer
The bugs and trojans of outrageous monopolies,
        Or to take arms against a sea of proprietariness,
And by opposing end them?