DVD Burner speed trouble on FC4

Michel MENGIS michel.mengis at epfl.ch
Wed Aug 17 12:15:57 UTC 2005

Dear sirs,

I’m using a DELL Latitude D810 with a DVD Burner.

I installed a FC4 (full installation), and I upgraded it using yum. So I’m
running 2.6.12-1.1398-FC4

My DVD Burner is a NEC DVD+-RW ND-6500A.

By doing this test:

            Copy a 2Gb file from the DVD to the harddisk.

                        On windows:  4minutes 3 seconds

                        On linux: 27 minutes.

hdparm –I /dev/hdc tells me that DMA isn’t activated

hdparm –d 1 /dev/hdc tells me that I’m not allowed to activate DMA on the
DVD burner

Why ?

How to bring my DVD to work on linux as on windows ?

Best regards,

POSEIDON Project Manager

EPFL - DIT - DIT-SB

Ecole Polytechnique Fédérale de Lausanne

Swiss Federal Institut of Technology Lausanne

Tel: (+41) 021 693 2266